Event Tokens and Mission Rewards - Introducing Explorer Tokens

Event Token and Mission reward issues

As of now, some of the most powerful items in the game–gems, crystals, and globes–are obtained not through any sort of progression goal, but from silly weekly “for fun” events that aren’t at all tied to the core gameplay loop. It’s been generally agreed upon for a while now that this isn’t ideal, but not much in the way of alternatives have been suggested.

Meanwhile, higher-tier missions are flooding the game with things like dusts and evolution items, many of which are being pumped in faster than they are used up, to the point most people just immediately vendor them to Kecleon. The excess of some of these items may not be entirely the fault of mission rewards, but I believe their impact is often overlooked.

To address both of the above problems, I propose an overhaul of Ludicolo’s shop, and the introduction of a new Explorer Token shop.

Introducing Explorer Tokens

Obtained from completing missions in varying amounts depending on mission level, and replacing the current mission rewards entirely, Explorer Tokens would be spent at a new shop located within the housing center. Explorer tokens would not be tradeable.

What Happens to Old Event Tokens?

Ludicolo shop overhaul

Ultimately, I think the items Ludicolo sells should be things like hats and music items; right now there are 3 measly vanity items in his shop, but we’ve been introducing plenty of new disguise and music items as time has gone by. Perhaps some already created ones could find a home here? Or maybe he needs an entirely new stock? Either way, the rewards from attending weekly events should definitely be fun, but they don’t need to be mechanically significant in dungeon crawling to do that.

Current event tokens were obtained with the understanding they could be used to acquire highly valuable gems, crystals, and globes. It would be rather cruel to anyone saving up event tokens to suddenly lose their ability to spend them on the item they were eyeing. As such, I suggest converting all current event tokens to a new “old event token” item, that can be exchanged for a number of shiny new explorer tokens of equivalent value. (15 old event tokens would still net you enough of the new currency to get a gem/crystal, and likewise 25 would get you enough for a globe)

Earning Explorer Tokens

Example mission payouts by mission rank

The current example token payout per mission is (explorer rank yield) ÷ 10, with some slight deviations at the earlier mission levels to smooth things out and avoid decimals

Relative to how expensive gems, crystals, and globes were in event tokens, one event token would be equal in value to about 100 explorer tokens

• E. - 1 explorer token
  • D. - 2 explorer tokens
  • C. - 3 explorer tokens
  • B. - 4 explorer tokens
  • A. - 6 explorer tokens
  • S. - 9 explorer tokens
  • *1 - 15 explorer tokens
  • *2 - 25 explorer tokens
  • *3 - 40 explorer tokens
  • *4 - 60 explorer tokens
  • *5 - 80 explorer tokens
  • *6 - 100 explorer tokens
  • *7 - 120 explorer tokens
  • *8 - 140 explorer tokens
  • *9 - 160 explorer tokens (*9 missions do not currently generate to my knowledge)

Spending Explorer Tokens

Example shop items
  • 100 explorer tokens - 1 old event token
  • Bottled Message - (See below)
  • Gem/Crystal - 1500 explorer tokens
  • Globe - 2500 explorer tokens
  • Misc. Evolution Items - (Varies, likely between 250-750 explorer tokens)
  • Heart Scale - 150 explorer tokens
  • Red/Blue/Green/Yellow Shard - 25 explorer tokens
  • Mushroom - 10 explorer tokens
  • Big Mushroom - 30 explorer tokens
  • Tiny Reviver Seed - 50 explorer tokens
  • Reviver Seed - 100 explorer tokens
  • Revival Herb - 300 explorer tokens
  • Silver Key - 300 explorer tokens

Nearly all the items I’ve suggested here beyond the gems crystals and globes are consumables. This is not by coincidence, as adding more permanent items like the miracle chest could result in this shop overshadowing the other methods of acquiring them once players have all the gems, crystals, and globes they want, undoing all the work that has been done to combat their oversaturation.

What are bottled messages?

Bottled mission messages are something which I’ve suggested in another thread, having been inspired by Kirk’s idea for a functionally-identical “mission token”; using a bottled message generates a mission of a specific rank in a random eligible dungeon you have completed, and then adds it to your job list.

The cost of a bottled mission will be high enough as to guarantee a net loss of explorer tokens; by choosing to buy one, you are re-investing your tokens into more explorer points at the cost of your tokens. Whether or not bottled messages would be tradeable is up for debate, but I personally lean no as to avoid them being dumped on newer players and rocketing them through explorer rank progression rather than letting them work towards that goal themselves.

Additionally, it’s probably for the best missions obtained from a bottled message cannot be shared with other players like ones from the mission board can, otherwise that skews their price math in a way that would either be exploitable by groups or penalize solo players.

Bottled Mission price math

The cost in mission tokens of a bottled message would be dependent on the rank of mission it provides, looking something like this: [mission token yield] + [(mission point yield) ÷ 10]
For example, an E rank mission bottle would cost 2 explorer tokens, while a *6 mission would cost 200.

Conclusion

There’s been a lot of discussion over how to handle gems, crystals, and globes over the recent months, as well as the sentiment of mission rewards being undesirable. This is just one solution that I’ve been stewing on for a while now, and I did my best to make it comprehensible so I could share it with you guys.

Thanks for reading! And don’t hesitate to let me know what you think; I suck at math, so the suggested numbers for things like token payouts per mission could totally be off.

I read the whole post and all, and I feel like new mechanics solely for balancing the exclusive Items Is unnecessary. Hear me out pls.

So I genuinely believe the best solution to this Is simply making the obtainment of them how It Is In the real games; through the swap shop. Not only because of my bad opinion of wanting PMU to be more like PMD but I really think It’s the most reasonable and simple change.

I’m going to briefly break this down. So, silks are balanced right now In my onion. They’re not guaranteed or anything and most are only In one dungeon ( Blue Silk Is In like, 4 dungeons though technically, jesus christ ). You need to use a consumable Item to have a chance at one anyway.

Silk + dust Is the only problem here, since dusts are so easy to obtain when they actually have no business being so, and I don’t think anyone realized that In the progress of PMU’s development. Just for an example, about 3 types of dusts can be found very commonly hidden In Boggy Wastes after a certain point. And of course Sky Fortress, you have a chance to find the dust of the respective type of the section you’re In + Flying always. That’s literally 10 types.

I am absolutely certain one of the only reasons this wouldn’t be Ideal Is because dusts are so easily obtained. That would need to be fixed. Like In PMD, dusts being exclusive to missions does not sound bad at all and from my memory I think I remember hearing that this was the case In the past, when 8-9* TC missions originally worked. Obviously they shouldn’t be exclusive to TC missions but them being exclusive to higher rank missions sounds fine to me.

But, you’re probably thinking, silk + dust Is still 2 ez. I don’t exactly disagree. I said dusts need to be rarer ( and silks might need to be too If this change became a thing It won’t ), but of course that doesn’t fix the Issue of how many people already have, right? Well sir or ma’ams that’s where I’m stumped.

So so so, what If to make a Gem or Crystal In the case of PMU, you’d also need the respective Plate and/or band of the type. No one cares about bands so I don’t even know where most are obtained ( I know that they aren’t In convenient spots for most of them though ). And I know that all plates except for a select few are exclusive to TC 99 paths. Draco Plate Is In DD end box, Icicle Plate Is a CC boss drop, Pixie Plate Is In MM or something. For the Plates, unless they were made more accessible I think that’s a bit excessive, unless they were added to the swap shop crafting chain.

It could maybe go: Dust/Band/Silk = Plate > Dust/Band/Silk/Plate = Gem or Crystal > Dust/Band/Silk/Plate/Gem/Crystal > Globe

I’m such a gosh dang genius aren’t I :sunglasses:. So you’d need to have two dusts, two silks, and two bands to create a Gem or Crystal. Is that still too easy? Perhaps. I mean we could make It more tedious and have It need the power-boosting Items too ( or plates could just not be craftable, would add a market for them ). But this Is tied to progression at least? Sorta? Maybe.

But that’s enough of my silly Idea. My very first sentence summed up my opinion on this “Explorer Tokens” Idea but I’ll still actually comment on some things.

higher-tier missions are flooding the game with things like dusts and evolution items, many of which are being pumped in faster than they are used up, to the point most people just immediately vendor them to Kecleon. The excess of some of these items may not be entirely the fault of mission rewards, but I believe their impact is often overlooked.

Yes, and I touched on this with dusts at least earlier. I mean all I have to really comment on this Is that staff should change the rewards. More Poke rewards or Items like Gold Ribbons would be nice.

Ultimately, I think the items Ludicolo sells should be things like hats and music items; right now there are 3 measly vanity items in his shop, but we’ve been introducing plenty of new disguise and music items as time has gone by. Perhaps some already created ones could find a home here? Or maybe he needs an entirely new stock? Either way, the rewards from attending weekly events should definitely be fun, but they don’t need to be mechanically significant in dungeon crawling to do that.

This was one of the only things I agreed with. Even If not either of our didiot Ideas, this goes without saying… All of the fun Items are exclusive to the seasonal shops or HCs. In addition to music Items and cosmetics IKEA Items would fit nicely there.

Bottled mission messages are something which I’ve suggested in another thread, having been inspired by Kirk’s idea for a functionally-identical “mission token”; using a bottled message generates a mission of a specific rank in a random eligible dungeon you have completed, and then adds it to your job list.

The cost of a bottled mission will be high enough as to guarantee a net loss of explorer tokens; by choosing to buy one, you are re-investing your tokens into more explorer points at the cost of your tokens. Whether or not bottled messages would be tradeable is up for debate, but I personally lean no as to avoid them being dumped on newer players and rocketing them through explorer rank progression rather than letting them work towards that goal themselves.

Additionally, it’s probably for the best missions obtained from a bottled message cannot be shared with other players like ones from the mission board can, otherwise that skews their price math in a way that would either be exploitable by groups or penalize solo players.

You suggested this so people don’t have a hard time ranking up right? But like, wouldn’t a more simple solution just be to make It so new missions appear more often? Like 5 or 10 minutes or so? Am I being delusional for thinking this Is pretty much all that should be needed to be done? If this was the case, maybe then bottled messages could spawn at Exbel’s coast at time change but other than that I don’t see why It needs to be such a complicated thing. Additionally I’d love to see NPCs have missions In Spinda’s Cafe like In EoS.

2 Likes

Post reading? Who actually reads posts before responding to them?

However, while there are numerous things I’m 100% in agreement with, I take issue with a few problems I see arising with a couple of your suggestions if they are put into practice.

First though, let’s get everything we’re completely in agreement out of the way.

Out of all the type-related items, silks are definitely in the best place balance-wise. I agree.

Again, I totally agree dusts are way too common. In fact…

…This in particular is something I’ve pointed out myself many times, and I’m pretty sure is very much on the radar for adjustment.

Now, let’s move on to where we’re less in agreement.

While I do definitely agree that having to gather a bunch of components and combine them to create a gem/crystal/globe is a better system than tying them to a weekly for fun event, it necessitates meticulously balancing how each component is obtained. As you yourself have said…

I don’t think the solution is to instead double down and throw in more components staff then have to also rebalance the rate of obtaining properly.

“No one cares about bands” indeed–and I don’t think forcing people to hunt them down is a good idea, when they’ve been treated as junk items and have wildly inconsistent distribution. Staff would need to re-look at all of the existing sources and rebalance them accordingly. Plates are even worse for the exact same reasons, and I really don’t think we need to double-down on linking mechanics to TC.

My problems with Tanren Chambers

TC is very much not a standard dungeon, and the more mechanics we tie it into the more we force it to be a core part of gameplay. I would be iffy on putting such heavy emphasis on even a single normal dungeon, but TC is not normal–it is incredibly janky to actually run, despite how well it handles its reward distribution. A majority of the challenge it poses is not in regards to the player’s mastery of PMU’s mechanics, but their ability to memorize and keep track of the route they are supposed to be on. Though on the flipside, due to being a no-item dungeon with no revival items inside to speak of, it’s also incredibly punishing of the player’s mistakes due to its long length.

As negative as that may sound though, I think it definitely has its place in the game as a unique side-challenge, and isn’t even in need of a rework. But that doesn’t mean I think it should have extra emphasis placed on it.

I don’t think “how tedious should it be to obtain?” is the right mindset. I think the correct angle to take here is “how can we make this less tedious and feel rewarding, but without trivializing it?”

I don’t think we need to turn the mission board into a direct money printer rather than an indirect one through vendorable 2.5k dusts and 1k evolution items.

This doesn’t actually solve the problem of dust abundance, though. While SF is probably the leader in how much excess dust it injects into the game, high-tier missions are right behind it.

In fact, I think dusts could do with something unique akin to silks in how they are obtained, but that’s a discussion for another thread methinks.

Just turning the generation rate up causes a number of problems–at 5-10 minutes, you could just cycle through missions until you have a full list of SF ones, for example. I’d much rather see players given ways to more actively acquire missions–I don’t think anyone wants to see AFKing next to the mission board and checking it every 2 hours for SF missions to become the optimal way to farm points.

Additionally, even without a massively decreased mission generation delay, already anything that is a mission reward right now has its supply incredibly bloated just from the current rate of obtaining missions.

But what plagues the current mission rewards is a combination of low-level mission rewards kind of sucking, and higher level ones pumping all sorts of items into the game to the point they become vendor trash. Shifting the primary reward for missions to a unique currency which you can either spend on ranking up faster, spend on high-demand consumables, or save up for a more valuable item not only kills two birds with one stone–fixing the awkward event token situation, and making missions feel more rewarding–but it can potentially expand upon PMU’s current core gameplay loop, which does a poor job of keeping many players hooked. Just look out how fast newbies often wind up with no goal to really pursue and leave, or how many players are inactive until HC finally comes around.

My intention here isn’t just to suggest we band-aid two outdated systems, but to replace them with a new one that is much more satisfying to interact with.

I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with looking at mission generation itself though! As-is, far too many low level missions are generated, even as a player ranks up. I don’t think the rate of mission generation is too bad (ignoring “failed rolls” where nothing actually generates, those should definitely be fixed) but the quality of missions offered could definitely be better, even in the midgame.

thanks for coming to my ted talk

1 Like

xd

I don’t think the solution is to instead double down and throw in more components staff then have to also rebalance the rate of obtaining properly.

“No one cares about bands” indeed–and I don’t think forcing people to hunt them down is a good idea, when they’ve been treated as junk items and have wildly inconsistent distribution. Staff would need to re-look at all of the existing sources and rebalance them accordingly. Plates are even worse for the exact same reasons, and I really don’t think we need to double-down on linking mechanics to TC.

Yeah I guess but they’re part of the type-enhancing Items group. I knew for a fact being rebalanced would come up. From memory I know a lot of bands ( If not all actually ) are exclusive to Secret Rooms, then TC also has all of them. That sucks, but If Gems and Crystals are so op they gotta be annoying to get, rite? 30% joking. I originally was going to have Bands be part of the crafting process ( dust =band ), which would Increase the amount of dusts to be used. This would get more dusts out the systems but put bands back Into obscurity until there’s a point people get low on dusts at a time where theoretically, their ease of obtainment has been nerfed, so people would hunt bands for a shortcut.

TC is very much not a standard dungeon, and the more mechanics we tie it into the more we force it to be a core part of gameplay. I would be iffy on putting such heavy emphasis on even a single normal dungeon, but TC is not normal–it is incredibly janky to actually run, despite how well it handles its reward distribution. A majority of the challenge it poses is not in regards to the player’s mastery of PMU’s mechanics, but their ability to memorize and keep track of the route they are supposed to be on. Though on the flipside, due to being a no-item dungeon with no revival items inside to speak of, it’s also incredibly punishing of the player’s mistakes due to its long length.

As negative as that may sound though, I think it definitely has its place in the game as a unique side-challenge, and isn’t even in need of a rework. But that doesn’t mean I think it should have extra emphasis placed on it.

I’m not sure I disagree but what I suggested takes account Into what we have now. Unfortunately for me TC just so happens to have 8 bajillion Items obtainable from or exclusive to It. I don’t exactly have Ideas for how Plates and bands can be acquired In a more consistent way.

I don’t think “how tedious should it be to obtain?” is the right mindset. I think the correct angle to take here is “how can we make this less tedious and feel rewarding, but without trivializing it?”

Yea It Is /s
Meh well, I did have an Idea It could require an Item specifically for making Gems, Crystals, or Globes ( this would exclude the band/plate mayhem probably ) but that’s as far as I got with It.

I don’t think we need to turn the mission board into a direct money printer rather than an indirect one through vendorable 2.5k dusts and 1k evolution items.

Because you’re you I knew you’d say something like that. All according to plan … adjusts glasses
I’ll stop being cringy but It’s not that big of a deal to me. Gold Ribbons are worth 2.5k also. If you somehow stacked 8 missions that gave that as a reward that’s 20k. Maybe that’s a lot to you? Probably less efficient than actually playing the game though. Especially If you’re Guildmaster rank already, I don’t believe people would be making millions from missions. If you have Ideas for high rank mission rewards please throw them at my face. I cannot remember what the average mission rewards are for missions of high ranks In the real games. I could only remember that I have a boatload of Gold Ribbons In GTI so that’s what I managed to draw Inspiration from.

tl;dr dunno what other Items roflol

This doesn’t actually solve the problem of dust abundance, though. While SF is probably the leader in how much excess dust it injects into the game, high-tier missions are right behind it.

I literally said that In my post didiot but I don’t know how to solve that ;( I already touched on simply changing mission rewards.

In fact, I think dusts could do with something unique akin to silks in how they are obtained, but that’s a discussion for another thread methinks.

Well I think that delves back Into “new complicated mechanic for one small thing” territory but go make your 100th Suggestions and Contributions post, I’ll wait

jk

I don’t think anyone wants to see AFKing next to the mission board and checking it every 2 hours for SF missions to become the optimal way to farm points.

No but my mindset was that with higher generation essentially you wouldn’t have to feel so Inclined to stack SF missions and be able to play the game longer by being able to get missions to do consistently ( and SF takes forever to get to, run, unlock missions for, etc. Missions were rebalanced so It’s not the best way to go about getting points anymore ).

Additionally, even without a massively decreased mission generation delay, already anything that is a mission reward right now has its supply incredibly bloated just from the current rate of obtaining missions.

Rewards can still be adjusted though, but given I talked about making dusts mission exclusive you have a point : )

But what plagues the current mission rewards is a combination of low-level mission rewards kind of sucking, and higher level ones pumping all sorts of items into the game to the point they become vendor trash. Shifting the primary reward for missions to a unique currency which you can either spend on ranking up faster, spend on high-demand consumables, or save up for a more valuable item not only kills two birds with one stone–fixing the awkward event token situation, and making missions feel more rewarding–but it can potentially expand upon PMU’s current core gameplay loop, which does a poor job of keeping many players hooked. Just look out how fast newbies often wind up with no goal to really pursue and leave, or how many players are inactive until HC finally comes around.

I guess, but not all of this Is literally only cus of missions. In actual PMD, your rank mostly was your main goal. However, there’s the Infamous 99 floor dungeons ( which Is partially why I do like the neat Items being exclusive to TC. It’s just that when too many are It’s probably an Issue ), recruiting legendaries ( can’t do that In PMU exactly but slates count In a way ), rescuing other people ( mostly a RTDX thing, but It would be nice If It was an actual feature In PMU. I mean come on It’s an MMO maybe then we can get rid of Escape Ropes and I would LOVE to rescue people In TC, I’d feel so boss ). In GTI there’s the paradise and note I’m not even like midgame just yet I think but It reminds me of PMU houses, then again reminding me that there’s still things that can be done with guilds. PSMD also had those treasures? I don’t know, maybe people would like more series of collectibles. It’s also Important to remember the lack of a “core gameplay loop” Is also due to there still being no story to follow yet.

My intention here isn’t just to suggest we band-aid two outdated systems, but to replace them with a new one that is much more satisfying to interact with.

Yeah but with me there’s the whole not liking straying from PMD too much thing so hmm. Not that my SINGULAR opinion should affect things, but being the only PMD MMO It should still focus on the “PMD” part Is all I’m saying. speaking of that can money be separate from Items yet?

1 Like

what’s wrong with making pmu different from pmd? just because it’s a mmo doesn’t mean every little thing needs to come from an existing pmd game. or are you of the opinion that “if game series does new thing never done before the new thing is automatically bad”?

pmu already has the “pmd mmo” thing down. we play as pokemon that go into dungeons to do missions to help other pokemon. that’s the thing all of the pmd games have, so… what’d be the problem if pmu does some new stuff to make pmu feel like its own experience rather than “lol look it’s like -insert pmd game- but real time”?

2 Likes

When It comes down to It, nothing. It’s just my ( as many people think ( Including me, being cynicaleca ) ) bad opinion.

?
It being an MMO never had anything to do with It, I emphasize the word PMD though. And I know, but that’s just how I prefer things and whether It’s taken Into account or not It also Influences my opinions.

pmu already has the “pmd mmo” thing down. we play as pokemon that go into dungeons to do missions to help other pokemon. that’s the thing all of the pmd games have, so… what’d be the problem if pmu does some new stuff to make pmu feel like its own experience rather than “lol look it’s like -insert pmd game- but real time”?

You’re right, again things would be simpler If I didn’t have this mindset but I do for some reason <:) I can’t tell you what’s wrong with It because there Isn’t anything wrong.

If you’re referring to my swap shop Idea, again again I mentioned part of my viewpoint that Influenced wanting to suggest It, but also like I said, I did legitimately think It would be a good way to handle Gems, Crystals and Globes. If there wasn’t an overflowing amount of dusts I really believe It’d be the go-to but because of that and other circumstances It most likely won’t be a great solution right now.

1 Like

Similarly how it sounds Diancie/Ikia does, I find this argument to not hold up under scrutiny, and it’s where I think the core of our disagreement lies.

I do agree it’s important to remember this is supposed to be a PMD fangame at heart, but if something from PMD doesn’t translate well into an MMO with a real time battle system, who’s to say we can’t adjust it? Cornerstones of PMU’s gameplay like team items and hitstun are completely orginal concepts.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is the foundation this game is based on, but it need not be an iron ball it is chained to.

1 Like

I find this argument to not hold up under scrutiny

yes I know It doesn’t

Like Ikia said, missions are one of PMD’s core features. They’ve for the most part been the same In every game besides like GTI where you can only do one a day for some reason. PSMD Is probably the game that does It the most different ( I can’t speak for Adventure Squad ). So the thought of some new mechanic being added onto that, Idk It just feels weird, especially when In my mind there could be more simplistic solutions.

In my opinion some Issues ( like this one ) wouldn’t be Issues If things followed PMD more. One example Is the Gem/Crystal split. Before there were just Gems like PMD, then they were split, and now that’s apparently a problem. Dusts also wouldn’t be so common If they were mission exclusive, cough ( but them being outside of missions Isn’t bad either, they’re just too common ). People might not complain about Trip Traps as much If stairs had a confirmation dialog, I mean Secret Rooms do don’t they? Parties don’t stop this from being added.

And It’s not like I’m against every non-PMD thing. 80% of PMU’s Items are main series’ or fanmade. I’m fine with that. I’m fine with the fact you can’t recruit legendaries, If IQ existed that’d be cool but It doesn’t and that’s ok too. I don’t believe water has any effects besides curing burn In PMD but It can do neat stuff here, I like that. There’s a lot more but this would be too long If I listed everything. I’m not even specifically against the token Items being where they are. I just thought their obtainment following PMD would be more reasonable but I guess not xd I even suggested additions that made It follow PMD less so It would account more for the problem In PMU specifically, but granted Plates and bands don’t exist In PMD.

There are plenty of things that’d be better though, like mobility changes, Eevee being a starter maybe, a quiz to determine/suggest your starter would be revolutionary too, that’s a signature PMD thing ( and also something I’m ok with there not being ), and a really good one Is move descriptions but I undestand that Is difficult.

Edit: You know how PMD 6, 5, and any “version” before that were kinda barely like PMD? Only pre-mapped dungeons, stats didn’t even work like Pokemon at all, mana Instead of PP? I’m not an old player so I can’t expand more on that but the point Is that sounds like It sucks. I don’t even know If missions existed back then but anyway you could argue because you play as Pokemon and do dungeons, It was enough like PMD. And I’m aware all those Issues have been fixed now, so I guess I’m bringing It up as a reminder. Some things aren’t good If you stray from PMD too much, and maybe I’m afraid of that or something lol. Staff can do whatever they want In the end. Idrk what else to say/do other than agree my thought process probably sucks but at least try to justify/explain It.

sorry I keep editing this lol I feel like people don’t even think about doing things like PMD. Not wanting to do It that way Is one thing, but does anyone consider It before deciding we need to build an entire new feature? Only because “PMU Isn’t/doesn’t have to be like PMD” It just feels like we’re actively avoiding any similarities or considering them.

2 Likes

Good evening fellows.

I think all this comments doesn’t have strong enough points to be considered a “Problem” or “Issue”, or I don’t feel it like it. Event tokens (The name explains itself, come on!) needs to be EVENT exclusive, I mean, me personally (and I hope everyone agrees with this) I love the events that staff team run for our entertainment and enjoyment for the game, not only competition, also for fun and cooperation. Also, we had almost similar to this (Not about adding something to missions) and actually, the only thing to be adjusted for event tokens, it’ll be the way certain events are programmed to be run ((like only the first one get extra token is the first one to answer right, like snipping was banned from auction, this can also apply there. Stadium is extremely limited and needs more organization, etc) < (This are based from others comments I saw from some players, my point of view is neutral, I’m not in favor/against of it for now)), because let’s be honest, staff team already give us a generous amount of event tokens each weekly event only for participating and I invite staff team to comment that this is a HUGE fact.

I can openly say, let’s not bite the hand that feed us. Staff team already put efforts on that and we as players wait and enjoy this events, just like HC.

In terms of Mission rewards, is fine, I mean, I got items I REALLY NEED IT from those, even more because some are already rare or hard to get (Courage dust, Shady dust, Link cable, etc.). I could only agree if reward items from missions gets an upgrade, like, also adding ice stone or other recently item implemented.

also, PLEASE DON’T.
We have already the rank items, bag/storage space, area limitations, etc. Rank Missions is already the spices that make PMU extra nice, I don’t see or I’m not being seen doing missions once someone gets guildmaster because already takes time and effort for it, and also, gives reasons to play.

To conclusion, I know PMU can be better and have extra stuff outside of it, but it’s fair and loved. There is a saying around this game about “PMU doesn’t necessarily needs to be 100% PMD” < True, but there are limits, let’s attach to them!. Also staff team has already a lot in their plate, let’s take some time, breath and think how this ideas could hit the right point to be implemented and be the most fair as possible. this could be really unbalanced somehow. Also, this could be also a base to general pokedex rewards tho. just saying.

1 Like

Uh, the subject of this thread has nothing to do with the “balance” of weekly events themselves, merely decoupling gems/crystals from the reward currency as far as event stuff goes.

Nor do I think anyone else has brought the events themselves up.

Bite the hand that feeds us? I’m not sure where you’re coming from there; from past discussions on the PMU discord, I can think of several members of the staff team who have expressed a want to decouple gems and the like from weekly events, but not being sure how they want to do so.

They’re certainly not useless, especially early on, but you only need so many courage dusts and whatnot.

Forgive me for having some trouble understanding, but are you saying you don’t want there to be an incentive to do missions beyond guildmaster rank? I can’t really adequately respond to this because I’m unsure of the point you’re trying to make, sorry.

I’m not sure I follow? Are you asserting that you feel something I or another person here is suggesting something that doesn’t fit what you believe belongs in PMU? I’m having trouble grasping the point you’re trying to make, sorry.

As far as I’m aware, nobody here is demanding or expecting an instant, or even particularly swift set of changes to roll in. This is merely a suggestion; not a demand. The entire point of creating a forum thread like this is to discuss it, and through that an idea can be refined into possible change down the line if it’s useful.

1 Like

Again, EVENT tokens talks by themselves already. is not like staff team gives you 25 tokes in the same day for a globe, tokens variates and is not that easy to farm up as a point of a newbie or someone who came back from mid progress account. I CAN TELL.

Because this are EVENTS! AKA is involved you like it or not. Otherwise breakdown this even more deeply. Remember there was a time that some crystal/gems where in dungeons but later removed cuz at the end wasn’t worth TOO much effort for a really really low chance (And don’t make me breakdown Deoxys drops pls).

People enjoys weekly events, also, the only thing I heard about that is they wanted to add the hats.

Indeed, but also, At the end it needs to have a comfortable system like original PMD games does (just like Deleca said, but I think you haven’t got the context about her comment), being honest, when I joined PMU I was expecting like “PMD game but online”, but no, it offered more than that, it was the PMD stuff like it’s supposed to but with extras that didn’t affected the gameplay that much (In programming terms, friendly Game), otherwise this can turn into NOT-SO-PMD game. If you see other fanmade type of pokemon games, they are loyal to the mechanics system and rarely changes something or adds stuff because some flaws or breaches aren’t covered, that’s where we all we have to aim when making suggestions. and I don’t think this totally aims for it. Also, that could affect weekly events indirectly if this happens tho (for not say lots of people waits for them, like me).

Forgive me too, because you are also ignoring the other benefits:

• RR Increase
  • Bag/Storage
  • Rare Items usage

Is good to make stuff challenging, but being honest, some missions are a pain to be done (Can tell, everyone too, and I bet you do too) and makes me lazy to make them, because is already highly long and demanding getting guildmaster already, and I think you are also ignoring those efforts than needs to be made for it, to have now a 3rd variable that forces us to keep going through it. I am one of them. I became guildmaster to feel I have all benefits now and stop doing the quite demanding missions.

My point: don’t add unlimited variables to missions (1st Rank Points, 2nd Rank Benefits). Let weekly events be, even if you find them silly. I love them because everyone reunites and have a good time, I have a long week working and rl stuff, and you know that I wait all sundays for weekly events to have some fun with all of you as a community, if this hits like I feel is going to hit, that is going to be shattered.

and that’s what we do.

1 Like

There’s a lot in this thread, and I’m a little busy with real life currently so I can’t go super in depth right now, but I do want to respond to this thread;

I think there’s a lot of useful suggestions in this thread. Tying missions rewards to the meta items that are currently in the event shop is something I’ve internally suggested before, and doing it more like the PMD method (combining existing items) is, in my opinion, a potentially viable method too. Of course, there are things to keep in mind with both of these methods which mostly tie in to how items have been distributed in the past, and implenting these will need to be carefully planned out so that the distribution will be balanced in the long term too.

I really like the creativity of the brainstorms in this thread, and I think it helps us with our brainstorms too seeing people’s feedback, suggestions and deliberations written out like this. So, please go on! Once we’ve decided on a path I’d like to ask for opinions and input again.

@Kuma I appreciate your enjoyment for the weekly events, and I can say that changes to the shop wouldn’t impact that. The current event token shop is a bit problematic in its distribution of the metagame items, and that’s something pretty widely recognized, but once we change it it’ll be replaced with other cool and nifty items. So, please don’t worry about that!

5 Likes