Mystic coven remake

Mystic coven is a dungeon with alot of potential, it can only be entered at night, it has a generally witchy feel and the final boss of the dungeon is a trio of witches, but what does mystic coven have to make it a good dungeon to run? recruits, only recruits mystic coven currently has 5 Pokémon only found there, being natu, alolan meowth, dusk lycanroc, midnight lycan roc, and fennekin. the dungeon itself however, is rather uneventful and basic, 50 floors with no break followed by a boss battle and no particularly good loot throughout the entire thing. so I’d like to suggest a few changes

first of all it would make alot of sense to split the dungeon into 2 halves to allow for further content, have the current which trio moved forward to the midpoint of the dungeon, additionally add hatterene to the trio as it is refered to as the “forest witch” it would fit in well with the current trio, allow hatina a place to live, and maybe make it so you don’t have 2 pokemon from the fennekin line in the same boss fight.

after moving those 3 back we would of course need a new boss for the end of the dungeon, and I think dragapult would be a good option. while a legendary pokemon would be ideal for this position, no legendary pokemon fits particularly well here, short of darkrai and marshadow, which already have their own dungeons. additionally this would give the dreepy line a place to be, perhaps adding it as an egg drop from the boss or in a secret room? additionally a cool feature I’d like would be for the boss to have a significant buff to stats when fought during dawn or day, showing that it is normally fought in a weakened form, this would of course result in it having better drops of some sort.

speaking of drops, the main reason I had this idea in the first place is because mystic coven currently has terrible loot. the best thing you can get is a slowpoke tail with a 1/15 chance from any endbox, followed by shady and psyche dust, which are already everywhere. the things found in the dungeon itself are even worse with the best thing you can possibly find being a reviver seed. a 50 floor level 55-65 dungeon has a reviver seed as it’s best loot. additionally most of the loot it does have is orbs, with a few tms and some early game seeds and berries.

the first part of the loot that should be changed is the dungeon loot itself. remove oran berries, blast seeds, and gravelerocks (seriously?) from the list and probably several of the random orbs as well. to the list add: rare hidden slowpoke tails, vanish seeds, rare hidden doom seeds, dusk stones, reaper cloths, and moon stones, most of which likely would only be on later floors.

for the endbox loot once more it should be started by removing a large amount of random stuff those being: lucky ribbon, trapped scarf(already have a scarf), psychic diamond, big mushroom, huge frozen apple (just why?), y-ray specs, and the dusk stone. new items in the item pool could include: dreepy/hatina eggs (not sure if eggs can be in boxes though…), nullifiying amulet, a key to get in during day, aged grepa juice, balm mushroom (sells for 7.5k), dark liquid, witch hat(buffs dark ghost and pshychic moves by 30% for the holder), oren berry, doom seed, and finally suspicious potion, a custom item, damages user by half their health(90% if chikorita) and buffs all stats by 2 stages description must include smells like chikorita.

1 Like

Regarding the end boxes It was covered In this topic In the past Reworking Mystic Coven's Endboxes

The end boxes are fine now, In my opinion. Y-Ray Specs haven’t been available for years with PBA closed, and the last HC they were In not being rerun. Dusts being too common Is Its own problem though. They really shouldn’t be floor drops In dungeons ( looking at Cch, SF and Boggy Wastes ). Lucky Ribbon and the Slowpoke Tail were TC exclusives before being put In the MC end boxes. Some people are collectors and like these novelty Items, some aren’t. Doom Seeds on the floors and In boxes doesn’t sound too hot, and the Witch Hat Is just overpowered. Wouldn’t It make sense for Items like these to be In a harder dungeon? The others I can get behind but I don’t necessarily think all the other things you mentioned have to be removed.

Here’s a hot take; some dungeons you won’t have a reason to go to, and that’s okay. It’s even like this In the actual PMD games. It’s true that you’ll mostly go to a dungeon for: a recruit, a certain Item, or to beat them. And unless the exp or monies Is good It’s likely you won’t go back afterwards. It kinda just sounds like you want to be able to gain more while shiny hunting for Fennekin but having everything In one dungeon Isn’t really healthy balance-wise.

You said yourself that there’s five exclusives there. Five!!! That’s kind of a lot. Is that not enough of a reason to have the dungeon, especially If you’re shiny hunting them? I don’t see why Dreepy or Hatenna would be added If there’s already so many recruits.

Having “bad” Items In end boxes balances It out so you don’t get something good every time…Imagine how many Items someone would get for shiny hunting In a dungeon where only good things were In the boxes. Adding the Nullifying Amulet would get rid of one of Scorched Grasslands niches. Taking exclusives from other dungeons Is going to feed Into the “There’s nothing I need/want In X dungeon” thing, so. They should only be taken from dungeons that have too many Items anyway like SF and TC. If only we had like level reset dungeons so It’s actually hard to get good Items and they can’t be speedran In 20 minutes.

Even If all this stuff was added, eventually you’d get all of It anyway, right? So then what’s the point? When you get shiny Fennekin or whatever other shinies you’re hunting, you’re not going to go back. You won’t get anything out of shiny hunting until you find the shiny you’re looking for, that’s just how It Is. That’s how It Is If the shiny Is In a dungeon that Isn’t stacked with rewards, but dungeons shouldn’t be that stacked anyway. Like If you’re hunting anything In Mt. Moon or SF you’re going to get so much out of It, but that doesn’t mean It should be this way. In Rescue Team DX, strong foe Ampharos Is In the literal baby dungeon Sinister Woods. You won’t be getting anything out of It other than the shiny besides box drops, and that’s a-ok.

Oran Berries are actually really useful tbh for people who actually fight stuff In dungeons. Not everyone runs Rest so eating them Is helpful when low on HP and you’re too lazy to run around for a few seconds. I actually think rare Items on the dungeon floors would be neat but stuff quickly stop becoming “rare” If someone Is spamming the dungeon. There has to be “junk” Items, you can’t just remove everything that Isn’t Immediately valuable.

Edit: One thing I can agree on Is a problem Is the length, but It was only mentioned as a point to why It should have better things. I just think not every dungeon has to be so long, makes training anywhere really exhausting, and realistically dungeons aren’t so many floors every time. MC could have lower floors, rather than making It long and giving the expectation of really good loot.

2 Likes

honestly didn’t realize so many of those items are exclusive to mc, thought they were in other places. I was probably thinking a bit too much along the lines of the spectral and choice items when coming up with the hat idea.

I disagree that some dungeons shouldn’t have a reason to go there, that kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it? Admittedly more exclusives aren’t needed, it feels like they would fit though, and I was thinking more along the lines of when you have 5 exclusives in a dungeon, shouldn’t it be a pretty good dungeon?

I get the point about moving the nullifying amulet but it makes more sense in mystic tbh plus scorched still has the scorched bandana or whatever it is. I more said remove oran berries because there already are sitrus berries there. I also didn’t mean to try removing all junk items, probably was just annoyed from the endboxes not having much, which should have some junk items removed as the pool has so many of them.

edit: grammar and unwalled the text

3 Likes

Not saying that they shouldn’t have reasons, but realistically there just won’t be one for every single dungeon, or we won’t have reasons to go back to certain ones. Majority of dungeons can be used for training but people Exp. All everything and then wonder why they only run the same dungeons all the time Instead of actually using the thing they’re exp alling In other dungeons to manually train them

A story would kind of help this by forcing us to run certain dungeons but…It’s true that not every dungeon will have a reason to be run by everyone.

O

I forgot and didn’t look at that on the page when I checked It, so that’s my mistake.

Still, unless anyone else has any better Ideas though, It’s…kind of just… a drawback of PMU being a PMD game. If you played Rescue Team, Explorers, PSMD, eventually there’s nothing left. Rescuing others Is an exception but we can’t really do that In PMU right now ( yes guilds I know but we should be able to do It outside of guilds ).

2 Likes

suggesting a rework again, hopefully better this time.

for tileset changes I don’t think any are needed, though maybe add water.

the pokemon would have a decent change though.
normal meowth is completely replaced with alolan meowth
persian is replaced by alolan persian
the ghastly line is removed as it has enough availability
purugly and glameow are removed because why are they there
abra and ralts lines are removed as they don’t quite fit the theme
lunatone can now be found throughout the dungeon
banette and absol are added to the last 10 floors
galarian yamask can rarely be found on the first 25 floors
litwick can be found on early floors
misdreveous can be found on early floors

the boss needs minimal changes
a bigger dialogue difference depending on your choice
you can fight the dark lord (maybe necrozma) if you arrive during dawn or day as you were too late

loot would get a decent upgrade
gravel rocks and blast seeds are replaced by pumpkins
oran berries are still removed because sitrus berries exist
dark liquid is added, ethers are removed
pokedolls can be found occasionally
balm mushrooms may be rarely found, hidden on the ground selling for a decent price
moonstones and dusk stones can be found in walls occasionally
end boxes no longer contain psychic diamonds, big frozen apples, or big mushrooms
balm mushrooms are added to the end boxes
dark rune is added to the endboxes, used to evolve into runerigus

eggs:
natu, shuppet, and alolan meowth eggs can now be found on the ground occasionally.
a special room containing a misdrevious or fennekin egg in a nest is added

Personally I wouldn’t agree with these but that’s just me.

Gastly is a pretty alright option without much impact on the dungeon, maybe it could be swapped out for a different ghost but otherwise its fine. Otherwise it spawns throughout the Tanren Mansion dungeons and Crystal Ruins, hatching from HT and Starlit eggs if you want that.

Glameow and Purugly I think fit in just fine given the witch theme. Sure they aren’t as “witchy” as something like Purrloin, but I think they’re fine in Mystic Coven.

Abra/Ralts lines fit well imo. If anything I would probably replace the Abra line since they’re more magician like? But that might be a weird reason.

I’d love to see Galarian Yamask somewhere but ideally I think it should be somewhere with ruins. o:
It might be a minute until we get Galarian forms so perhaps there will be more fitting options for it in the future, who knows!

Having Pumpkins within the dungeon sounds interesting, although I’m not sure if they would be implemented. They’re definitely a viable option though I think if we wanted another food source!

As for Dark Liquid, I’m not so sure about it. Its a Halloween seasonal shop item and I don’t think it was put into any dungeons specifically. Maybe we could have a potion item similar to it? Maybe like a Leppa Brew or something along those lines.

I’m all for more Litwick locations tbh and it fits Mystic Coven pretty well!
It’s such a hassle to get or shiny hunt. Its too rare in Tanren Mansion and your only other option is to run around Ashen Graveyard which is a pretty late dungeon.

Anyways, just wanted to give some feedback to these recommendations. Personally I don’t think Mystic Coven necessarily needs a rework since its in a good place - if I were to update it I’d only change some items and maybe the tileset a little bit. However we’re always looking at dungeons and open to suggestions for any changes or updates. :]

3 Likes

Wouldn’t hattena line be a better fit tbh?

Also, another consideration that I think really fits in here is galarian ponyta when it comes out, but prob that’s a long ways away.

1 Like

Don’t have any particular thoughts on this rework, but it should be noted that Alolan Meowth eggs are not possible in PMU atm. Any Meowth eggs would only hatch into Kanto Meowth

1 Like