Rebalancing Status Conditions

This was already discussed a fair bit on Discord, but here’s the rundown for those of you who missed it:

Currently, nearly all of the non-volatile status conditions and a few volatile ones here and there are way too strong, and I suspect the prevalence of status immunity as well as moves like Refresh have served as a bit of a band-aid most of the time, keeping the problem from being too visible. But simply because a mechanic happens to have a near-perfect counter doesn’t mean it’s in a healthy state–on the contrary, the current PMU “meta” suggests that status is extremely polarizing and has to be completely negated unless the player wants to be on super hard mode.

So I am going to go over all of the status conditions I think could do with tweaking, and how I think they could be adjusted to move them away from the “status immunity or die” camp.

Non-volatile status:

Overall

These are the reason Refresh and its clones are mandatory on every team without reliable status immunity, and still recommended even then just in case you forget to apply it or your gem’s weather ever goes down. Most of these could use some minor rebalancing, but more importantly there’s a blanket change I think is long overdue for all of them.

Suggested change for non-volatile status as a whole:
-Now wear off on changing floors

Poison/Toxic Poison:

Previously, I’d felt these dealt a bit too much damage. However, I was looking at them through the lens of someone who doesn’t switch at all after being poisoned, which is perfectly reasonable counterplay if it and other non-volatile status conditions are changed to wear off on floor change. It shouldn’t need further tweaking beyond some QoL visual distinction between the types of poison, so long as it and its non-volatiles cousins receive the blanket change.

Suggested change:

-Normal poison now uses the white skull rather than toxic’s purple one

Previous suggestion

Currently, these kill a little too quickly. Ideally, their focus should be to force the player to get off the floor by disabling their regeneration and slowly chipping away at their health, not killing them outright before they can reasonably manage it.

Suggested changes:

-Damage rate halved

Paralysis:

In terms of it hampering the ability of afflicted pokemon to fight, the 30% chance of full paralysis does its job fine already. However, the movement speed drop is so severe, and despite not actually being all that dangerous, is extremely unfun to deal with. This is a problem with movement speed drops as a whole, and I’ll be getting to them down below under volatile status.

Suggested change:

-Affected by suggestion below regarding travel speed drops–run speed reduced rather than running being rendered impossible

EDIT: An alternative to the above could be to completely remove the movement speed decrease and/or the full paralysis chance, and instead impose an attack speed reduction. (though slower attack speed with a 30% chance to fail may be too strong)

Freeze:

While rare, freeze is a full stun with an exceptionally high duration; something that is a lot more dangerous in a one vs. many scenario compared to 2v2 or 1v1. I think a thematically appropriate change to solve this could be frozen pokemon taking reduced damage until it wears off.

Suggested change:

-Frozen pokemon take only 66% (34% less) damage from attacks.

Burn:

Burn is entirely fine as-is after being made to wear off on floor change.

Suggested changes:

-None!

Sleep:

EDIT: As of a recent change, sleep sources well higher than they should be have been adjusted to a more reasonable 4 turns tops. Thank you Kirk!

Old suggestion for sleep changes

Sleep’s problems are more from specific sources having arbitrarily high sleep turns built into them. (And it’s the rare case of one source, the slumber orb, it’s actually overpowered in the player’s hands rather than when used against them)

Suggested change:

Perish Song (Done!):

This was previously a bit ridiculous, but it was changed to knock the victim to 1HP. Now it’s highly dangerous, but can actually be played around.

Old suggestion

This essentially locks you to 2 moves for the entire rest of the floor, regardless if you clear the entire room containing the user before it goes off. It’s also map-wide. This is easily the most blatant “block or die” status condition in the game. Rather than simply neuter it, however, my suggestion is a full rework to keep it dangerous–even to pokemon of higher level–without being impossible to play around, as well as to prevent the AI from wiping all of its allies out in the crossfire.

Suggested changes:

-Range reduced to 8 or so tile AoE
-Final tick knocks HP to 1 instead of instantly killing the target
-The move can hit regardless of level
-Accuracy changed to automatic hit

Infatuation:

As of the latest edit, Infatuation no longer prevents movement, now only preventing attacking!

If possible, one or both of only having a 50% chance to prevent attacking and/or only lasting until the inflicting pokemon is KOed would be nice, but it’s in a much better state now than it was before already.

Old suggestion

For some bizarre reason, PMD decided this needed to be a full stun, and consequently that was inherited by PMU. As I’ve already touched on, full stuns are ludicrously powerful in a one vs. many scenario, and so I’d suggest adjusting this to make it work more like it does in the main series.

Suggested changes:

-If possible on the technical side of things, change duration to as long as the user remains alive (leech seed does something like this currently, I believe)
-Change full immobilization and inability to attack to a 50% chance to fail to attack

Curse (Ghost Type):

While slightly more bearable than Perish Song, especially considering its limited range, it’s still extremely damaging and to heal off the damage it does between fights takes a lot of time, especially if not running a healing move. While I think it should definitely be able to kill a reckless player, a duration of until the next floor is perhaps a bit too long. On the flipside, its range is so short that it doesn’t actually land all that often, despite being way too strong when it does.

Suggested changes:

-Wears off after 5 ticks of the current 25% of max hp each tick, totaling to 125% of max hp–more than enough to kill a player (or AI) who just continues to spam attacks without moving much after being inflicted.
-Range increased to single-target 3-tile spray

Sealed/Disabled

Disable simply blocks a move from being used for the entire floor, which depending on what it hits can completely cripple the affected pokemon with a duration identical to what I have proposed non-volatile status has. On top of that, it can stack on multiple moves at once.

Suggested changes:

-Now wears off after several attacks are made
-Can only be applied to a single move at a time

The following are not affected by status immunity, but I believe are still worth talking about regardless.

Follow Me/Rage Powder:

This is strong just on paper in a one vs. many scenario, but not unreasonably so. However, the big issue is that it doesn’t wear off after KOing the user, essentially functioning as a drop to 0 accuracy on everyone except for the user for several turns, rather than drawing attacks as I would assume is intended.

Suggested change:

-Wears off after the user is knocked out.

Wrap:

Unlike Fire Spin and friends, this is a full stun on both the user and the target. Probably an oversight, so I won’t go too far into why I think this is a problem as I’ve already talked about full stuns plenty.

I believe I underestimated how limiting the 1-tile range is. This is dangerous, but easy enough to play around; don’t hug the enemy tangrowth.

Suggested change:
-Full stun changed to movement lock with attacking still possible
-None!

Travel Speed Down:

This is more frustrating than it is actually dangerous nine times out of ten, though when it’s applied mid-fight it can actually be challenging to work around. I believe the fix is a simple one.

Suggested changes:
-Reduced travel speed applies a modifier to running speed depending on severity, rather than disabling running
-Sources of reduced travel speed that don’t currently wear off now wear off after a while (Slow trap, for example)
-Moves that drop the speed stat instead drop travel speed for a few steps

I probably missed a few of the more troublesome ones, so feel free to chime in with any others.

It’s my hope that, if we can get status ailments into a healthier place, we can finally start tackling the problem that is full status immunity–and how it is negating a core game mechanic with little to no opportunity cost.

1 Like

Agreed, this Is why generally I felt like status conditions should wear off after the next floor because whatever dungeon you’re In may or may not have Items to cure the status you have, If you don’t have any yourself.

Across all, these are the changes I agree with

Non-volatile status:
-Now wear off on changing floors

Poison:
-Damage rate halved

Paralysis
-Affected by suggestion below regarding travel speed drops–run speed reduced rather than running being rendered impossible

Sleep:
-All sources of sleep, be they items traps or moves, now inflict sleep for the normal 2-3 turns.

Perish Song:
-Final tick knocks HP to 1 instead of instantly killing the target

Infatuation:
-If possible on the technical side of things, change duration to as long as the user remains alive (leech seed does something like this currently, I believe)
-Change full immobilization and inability to attack to a 50% chance to fail to attack

Follow Me/Rage Powder:
-Wears off after the user is knocked out.

Wrap:
-Full stun changed to movement lock with attacking still possible

For others

Freeze:
-Frozen pokemon take only 66% (34% less) damage from attacks.

I don’t see why lol. If anything amount of turns you can be frozen for should be a smaller set range.

Perish Song:
-The move can hit regardless of level
-Accuracy changed to automatic hit

This Is a mixed bag to me. The last one just sucks regardless If range Is changed or not because anything with It will spam It If they don’t have a another ranged move or they’re not close to you. The second Is ok, the first doesn’t really matter because that Is still a big area of effect and an enemy won’t use It unless you’re In range so It’s more or less the same In my onion.

Curse:
-Range increased to single-target 3-tile spray

If that means Poison Jab range sure, If not still sure since I don’t actually have an opinion :meltandabdance:
If the first suggested change happens Curse Is only less dangerous even with a boosted range.

2 Likes

I just realized I never actually added the suggestions regarding movespeed drops oops

EDIT: Fixed it.

1 Like

Freeze doesn’t have a set range IIRC, every time you try to attack you have a 20% chance of breaking free.

I wouldn’t be opposed to it having a set range, but the problem is that it’s then just a reskinned sleep.

The last two changes might sound extreme, but remember that it also applies to the user. HP to 1 is a lot more forgiving than instant death, but if the move goes off while you’re still in combat it should absolutely put you in a bad spot, IMO.

The 8-tile range is more so that if you’re in a party, you’re not sniped across the map when a teammate is the real target. (And so that it won’t hit every single enemy on the floor to boot)

Perish Song should definitely be a move to be feared, but the problem with it right now is that its effects persist well after you’ve dealt with the user. I’d prefer the move be less of a roulette that does nothing to higher-level pokemon, and more a move that forces you to respect the fact you’ve been tagged with it without subjecting you to instant death. Clever play against it will let you drop the enemy’s HP to 1 first, and then knock them out before/as you drop to 1HP yourself.

3 Likes

u rite

It could work like this. It would just be an Inconvenience more than anything as It doesn’t give you a negative passive effect but I can’t think of anything else ecks dee ( aside from what you Initially suggested which Is similar In terms of taking damagr and actually makes sense to me now ).

The last two changes might sound extreme, but remember that it also applies to the user. HP to 1 is a lot more forgiving than instant death, but if the move goes off while you’re still in combat it should absolutely put you in a bad spot, IMO.

tru

The 8-tile range is more so that if you’re in a party, you’re not sniped across the map when a teammate is the real target. (And so that it won’t hit every single enemy on the floor to boot)

Understandable have a nice day.

I guess with all that said I don’t mind the suggested changes for Perish Song except the 100% accuracy ( It might not always hit anyway because of the aoe accuracy nerf, but still ).

For the travel speed suggestions those are all fine changes probably.

2 Likes

WALL OF TEXT (my opinion!!! :)):

Poison: YES, but i would also add the effect of reduced healing to compensate for taking less damage to keep it relevant

Paralysis: Current paralysis is pretty balanced for movement but the chances of not attacking can RNG you to death at times so possibly making it instead that you attack at a slower rate but still are able to attack? :slight_smile:

Sleep: I agree sleep traps can be quite fatal for the mere mortal pokemon

Perish Song: while i would like to agree with you because perish song is a pain in HC water :sob: the move itself is balanced in the sense that it also kills everything else in the room (possibly) so just swapping pokemon and stalling/or just taking a hit or 2 would leave you with a free floor.

Infatuation: Agree nerf them cute fairies (THEY ARE DEADLY :slight_smile: )

follow me/rage powder: never really had issues with it myself but seems fair aka AGREE

Wrap: wrap is pretty dang strong when paired with multiple enemies so i agree but gonna throw in maybe keeping current affect but less turns??? :+1:

Freeze: While the official freeze affect used to be not being hit/or able to do damage to others as per the wiki “The Pokémon cannot move, use items or attack, and will also not receive damage however i dont mind the current affect because being frozen has some pretty small odds.

Curse: pretty balanced currently/and with your changes changes (might be pointless)

Otherwise great contribution leo/del good stuff :+1:

3 Likes

If anything, the fact it murders the entire floor is another problem with the move, not something in its favor; it killing recruitables is extremely annoying. The only reason I’m not bothering to suggest having it affect only the user + enemies is that it’s inevitably going to be one of those moves only useful to the AI.

Overall, you can argue the current form of the move is “balanced” by its drawbacks, but in the same way a move that has a 99.99% chance to do nothing and a 0.01% chance to instantly summon wind isn’t all that strong. Both this theoretical move and perish song have low chances to actually do anything, but when they do activate it’s extremely strong. At least most OHKO moves are short ranged and thus you can play around them; when it comes to perish song there simply is no avoiding the move unless it’s super dark and you have x-rays–the AI will always have plenty of time to react and use it once. (Unless, of course, you completely negate all status with something like safeguard or gems, but that’s a different topic for later–after status is more balanced)

1 Like

forgot to add that i agree with the range reduction my bad but i agree with you on most things just not the 1 hp thing it should be a kind of sacrifice play of sorts sticking to its name :+1:

The other suggestions were all to make it more functional as a move after it could no longer doom something to instant death. If you slap perfect accuracy on what is essentially an AoE OHKO move it winds up even more ridiculous than before.

Dropping HP to 1 is still quite the sacrifice play, and exceptionally powerful in the hands of the AI. But instead of being a move that his literally no counterplay outside of “stop using that pokemon until the next floor” or to lum/block it outright, the modified perish song forces everyone present into a sort of sudden death where any hit will likely lead to a KO.

The concept of putting everyone on a timer was something that made sense in a game where you could switch out and clear the effect, but obviously with no switching in PMD Chunsoft knew they had to change the move. However, I think it’s pretty clear their solution was sloppy. It’s not a move that forces the player to play smart, it just kills them if they’re unlucky.

In general, I think we should be avoiding mechanics reliant entirely on luck having such a colossal impact. Perish Song in its current form doesn’t so much throw a curveball at you and force you to adapt as it just completely invalidates a non-immune target.

1 Like

Alrighty im convinced :+1:
any thoughts on paralyze being a attack speed slow instead of a chance of stun?

2 Likes

Actually, lowering attack speed instead of move speed is an excellent idea. It’s just as, if not even more powerful, but far less annoying out of combat.

it cuts out the RNG while still sticking to the whole movement restriction idea behind being paralyzed :slight_smile:

Added sealed/disabled to the OP.

Looks like sleep was fixed! Thanks Kirk.

I’ll update the OP to reflect the changes

EDIT: Or I can’t do that on older, non-wiki posts. Thanks forums.

1 Like

My opinion on a few of these status effects has changed over the past few months, and I’ll update the OP accordingly soon. Namely, Wrap’s tiny range results in it being very dangerous up close, but far from being impossible to play around, which I think is perfectly fine. Additionally, poison damage can be played around by simply not moving around as the poisoned 'mon as much as possible, and switching to it only when it needs to attack, so aside from wearing off on floor change I think it’s probably fine as-is.

If anyone disagrees though, I’d love to hear why.

Also, I’m told something similar to what I suggested is currently being tested for Perish Song, hooray! I’ll have to go test that soon.

1 Like

And Infatuation has been changed to no longer restrict movement!

While further adjustments are limited by how it is coded, this is a great improvement in my book. Thank you once again, Kirk and the rest of the staff team!

1 Like

Ignoring the stupid replies I made 2 years ago there’s some things I’d like to add!

Not realistically possible yet I think, due to the way speed works. “Running” Itself Is a movement speed stage. I think for now simply wearing off at all ( In terms of Slow Traps ) Is better, which obviously can work because Gooey Is basically the same thing

Pretty unnecessary. In the games ( all of them ), It’s not even a floor-long thing

As for poison, yes they do deal too much damage:

Compared to the games, It’s chip damage with a generous threshold until you receive It, whereas on PMU It’s every 5 steps

This also assumes your other Pokemon are high enough to not be able to die wherever you’re running. Just something to consider

In the games, I was never ever pressed to have a move that cured status nor use berries too often, except maybe Pecha. I am so so eager for this to change because It would also make the game less difficult for new players, the main people that need to stick. The first major dungeon you’re meant to do Is based around getting poisoned, the worst offender of status conditions, so…

3 Likes